Note: After hearing President Obama and others speak I have to say that I am impressed and am hopeful and convinced that things are going to change regarding mental illness and mental health. This blog entry was written prior to hearing the speakers at the Mental Health Conference.
JUNE 3, 2013: MENTAL HEALTH CONFERENCE
It was recently announced by Jay Carney that June 3rd the White House will hold a Mental Health Conference. This a huge step in the right direction. The one problem I have with it is in response to recent tragedies and gun control. I have to question if this is a political step or really a way to help those with mental illnesses and the stigma attached to it, the problems in how people with MI are treated and the lack of care that they get. Why was this not addressed until now? “Presidential spokesman Jay Carney said Obama and Vice President Joe Biden plan to host the conference June 3rd at the White House and the attendees will include mental health advocates, health care providers, faith leaders, government officials, educators and people who have experienced mental health problems.
- I just am not sure their intentions are sincere and they are out to help the 1 in 4 people afflicted with mental illness. There is a good chance that some good things that can happen from this meeting. I would like to know the specific names of the people who are attending and what will be discussed. . Will they all have similar agendas that are more political and focus on gun control? Will the the mentally ill, their relatives, mental health advocates, the police (CIT training), ministers who have a plan to run programs in their churches that help people rather than make the stigma worse, administrators of the overcrowded psychiatric hospitals, experts that can confirm the lack of timely care for patients who really can’t wait all have the same amount of time to express their concerns?
- I would really like to know the people’s names who will be attending who have a mental illness because they represent me. .I think it is important that people with MI can explain how stigma has impacted their treatment, what problems they have faced, and solutions to the huge problems regarding mental health our country faces. I have written numerous emails, letters, made phone calls, tweeted, sent messages on FB to many politicians. I even wrote to President Obama a certified letter that I know the White House received. Was my letter not passed on because I am one of the “crazy ones? I think my voice needs to be heard or at least know that my ideas and suggestions will be shared. A side note: I have received calls from politicians, mails and emails and messages on Twitter from some politicians so I know my voice has been heard. President Clinton even wrote me a personalized letter thanking me for my efforts.
MAKE THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT THEY CLAIM TO BE
- Sign this Petition and Share with Other asking states to Recognize Mental Illness Awareness Week in October 2013 that was ignored last year.
- Write to your representatives and the media.
- Contact the President and White House , call l them at 202-456-1111 or 202-456-1414 or Tweet
- Email the Vice President Presidentice-President
- Tweet to Jay Carney
- Google Media and write, tweet, send message on FB, send emails, etc. to ask them to find out your answers and to get your point across.
- Join FB Advocacy Group
- GET INVOLVED IN NAMI, MENTAL HEALTH AMERICA, BRING CHANGE2MIND and other advocacy Groups