October 10th, has been set aside by more than 100 countries worldwide as World Mental Health Day. This year, the 20th anniversary, the theme is “Depression:A Global Crisis”.Ref1 “Mental disorders affect nearly 12 % of the world’s population which is about 450 million or 1 out of every 4 people around the world. Ref2
Some activities people do are:
- Officials signing the World Mental Health Day proclamation.
- Public service announcements.
- Educational lectures and the distribution of research papers on mental health issues.
- Awards to individuals or organizations who made significant contributions in improving mental health issues. Ref3
“The World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH). The World Health Organization (WHO), which is the UN’s directing and coordinating authority for health, and the Mental Health Foundation are all proactive in promoting World Mental Health Day”. Ref4
For more information about the history of this day, who founded it, what is being done on this day around the world, the symbols that are used, the theme this year:depression, and more statistics, please visit:
- World Health Organization
- World Federation for Mental Health
- Global Family Doctor
- United Nations Information Service
or visit social media sites that recognize, explain, or support World Mental Health Day:
- World Federation for Mental Health FB
- Help World Mental Health Day FB
- WFMH on Twitter @WFMHDC
- World Mental Health Day- October 10 FB