This year World Mental Health Day will celebrate its 20th anniversary on October 10th. It is estimated that over 100 countries now celebrate this day. The theme for 2012 is Depression: A Global Crisis. This blog is intended to show how several countries are recognizing that Mental Illness should be a concern for everyone.
It is estimated that over 350 million people suffer from a mental illness in the world. If you are reading this and your country is not mentioned, it is because this is a work in progress. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this blog if your country has an article that is not mentioned that you want me to include. Thanks.
- In Ireland: A little more talk about mental health. Please.
- In Nevis: Nevis Mental Health Counsellor calls for de-stigmatisation of Depression and Focus on Depression for Mental Health Week 2012 and “Depression: A Global Crisis” and Public urged to support activities drawing awareness to Depression
- In Switzerland: 350 million people have depression in world: WHO and Depression is a common illness and people suffering from depression need support and treatment
- In Portugal: Bagus Utomo Named Winner of Inaugural Dr. Guislain “Breaking the Chains of Stigma” Award
- In China: Unprecedented increase in the demand for mental health services
- In Australia: 350 million people have depression in world: WHO
and100,000 missing out on crucial mental health services and World Mental Health Day and Australian Parliament recognises World Mental Health Day
- In Philippines: Mental Health Commemoration
- In United Kingdom/England : Depression-Let’s Talk About It and World Mental Health Day and London Wasps turn their Mind to World Mental Health Day and World Mental Health Day – ways to get involved and Police to host web chat to raise awareness during World Mental Health Day
- In Oman: Awareness on Depression
- In Canada: Partners for Life, a Tour of the Province’s Schools – Thousands of Youth to Speak About Mental Health and Workplaces make gains, but some stigma toward depression remains: poll and A day to recognize our mental health challenges Jog will raise awareness, money for the more than 350 million people worldwide who suffer from depression
- In America: Millions have mental illness, need community’s support and PR Guru and Inspirational Speaker Terrie Williams to Keynote UN World Mental Health Day and Mental Illness Awareness Week: What can you do? and World Mental Health Day Brings Awareness to Depression That Affects 350 Million Worldwide and World Mental Health Day To Raise Public Awareness About Mental Health Issues
- In Arab Emirates: Depression Needs to Be Addressed Seriously
- In Jamaica: Show Care & Respect to Persons with Mental Illness
- In Africa: Many Millions Suffer from Depression and Africa: Mental Health Week Goals – More Treatment, Less Stigma
- In Pakistan: World Mental Health Day and World Mental Health Day: about 20 percent of Pakistanis suffer from various mental health disorders
- In Guyana: World Mental Health Day 2012: An occasion to reflect and celebrate
- In India: World Mental Health Day: All about mental disorders and World Mental Health Day 2012: Depression – Understanding it is half the battle won
- The United Nations: On World Mental Health Day, Ban calls depression under-appreciated global health crisis
- In Russia: World mental health day today
- In Poland: World Freak Day?